Promoters from around the country have contacted QCI Law to find out how their boxer, mixed martial artist, jiu jitsu practitioner, and other fighting athletes can obtain Permanent Legal Residence (“Green Card”) through their profession. It is no secret that these applications are difficult to get approved and a lot of information is required to be successful.  EB-1, EB-2, and EB-3 applications often do not adequately articulate both the industry of the sport and the merits of every achievement accomplished the athlete. Successful petitions also require a lot of proof from credible sources. It pays dividends to engage an immigration lawyer that understands the combat sports industry, has contacts within the industry, and also the ability to tell the athlete’s story to obtain Permanent Legal Resident status.


Combat Green Card - One Pager (1).png

Queen City Immigration Law                                                                                         August 3, 2018

222 S. Church St

Charlotte, NC 28205




CHARLOTTE, NC – Queen City Immigration Law (QCI Law) is a Charlotte, North Carolina-based full-service immigration law firm that focuses on the strategic needs of combat sports athletes and combat sports industry professionals all over the world. QCI Law specializes in the purposeful, intelligent and thorough representation in Permanent Legal Residence applications (Green Cards), P visas, and O visas for athletes, trainers, and coaches. QCI Law also advocates for combat sports business professionals with employment and investment based visa solutions. For exceptional service to the combat sports community we are partnering with a firm based in Ontario to provide immigration support in Canada.

QCI Law’s combat sports specific practice (www.combatsportsvisas.com) is one of the nation’s only practice groups focused on the needs of combat sports related industries such as boxing, brazilian jiu jitsu, professional wrestling, mixed martial arts, traditional martial arts, and other sports. QCI Law’s clients include world class athletes, management teams, and of course event promotion groups. The Combat Sports practice group leader, Sherrod Seward, noticed the need for expansion to Canada and took action.

“‘We love the fight business. It is our job to keep promoters streamlined, organized, and stress free for immigration matters” Says Sherrod Seward. “We are the most organized and talented lawyers in this niche field. The market dictated that we extend our helpfulness to Canada”

Many of QCI’s current clients are recognizing the opportunity for both gate and media distribution revenue in Canada as well as the significant talent pool in the country. Partnering with a recognized and established law firm in Ontario allows the firm to be full-service regardless of jurisdiction.

Benefits of the partnership for combat sports promotions including the following:

* Saving time on document requests for outside legal assistance

* Complete integration of your immigration cases through our online portal                                                     


* Troubleshooting potential pitfalls such as criminal history clearances

* Saving the day. We are the best at articulating combat sports issues to USCIS

Specific expertise in combat sports related Immigration is an underappreciated until something goes wrong. Our combat sports practice is tested and proven in the tough business of combat sports. If you are interested in finding out more about QCI Law’s Combat Sports Practice, please contact our office at 704-500-2045 or email combatsportsvisas@qcilaw.com

Canada as an option for International Students and Skilled Foreign Workers in the United State Permanent Resident Status

Canada - Permanent Residence Flyer.png


Even for highly educated and skilled professionals, obtaining a non-immigrant visa or permanent legal residence in the United States is extremely difficult. This is also very true for international students in the United States that are having issues changing status from F-1 to an employment based visa after graduation from school and/or using up their OPT.

The most appropriate business visa for foreign skilled workers and international professionals is the H-1B visa and employers are increasingly unwilling to participate as sponsors. For this reason, certain individuals who are skilled and experience, may want to consider Canada as a viable option to migrate if the United States is not working out.

In Canada, obtaining Permanent Residence status is not as stringent as the United States and there are various self sponsorship options that do not require an employer to participate in the process. Canada’s Quebec Province even offers special programmes for francofone professionals that do not require a job offer as well.

Highlights and Features of Canada Permanent Resident Status:

  • For International Students, Foreign Professionals & H-1B Workers in US

    • Express entry (electronic point based selection system)

    • Great for Persons under 35

    • Masters preferred but bachelor degrees are possible

    • 3 years of work history preferred

    • Requires high proficiency in English

  • For Francophone Speakers - International Students, Professionals, and H-1B Workers

    • Quebec immigration program- no job offer required- opening in august

    • Fluent French, writing, listening, speaking , reading and medium English

    • Education min bachelor (master of course better)

    • Age up to 35 but higher can be permissible too

    • Minimum 3 years experience ( anything which is not a low skilled positionl, does not have to be related to education)

Note: ALL of above for PERMANENT RESIDENCE (i.e. like Green Card for U.S. Permanent Legal Residence. Also,  after 3 years living in Canada as permanent residents, applicants can possibly apply for Canadian Citizenship)

Recap of the Employment and Entrepreneurship options in the United States:

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) typically grants two types of visas:

  1. Immigrant. These are permanent. Get an immigrant visa, and you receive a Green Card also known as Permanent Legal Residence

  2. Non-immigrant. These visas are temporary—either on a temporary, seasonal, annual, or three-year basis or more.

Immigrant Visas:

  • EB-1. Reserved for Priority Workers. For foreign nationals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics.

      • It is a very high bar to obtain these visas and can be very expensive to prepare these applications.

  • EB-2. Reserved for professionals with advanced degrees or persons with exceptional ability in the sciences, arts or business.

      • These option requires an employer to sponsor or a national interest waiver, which is also expensive and difficult to obtain.

  • EB-3. Reserved for "Skilled" or "Professional Workers," defined as: foreign national professionals with bachelor's degrees not qualifying for a higher preference category; skilled workers with two years training; and experience and unskilled workers. In almost all cases, a job offer and labour certification are required. More recently the introduction of Programmed Electronic Review Management (PERM) is making the application process more complicated but is cutting waiting times significantly.

      • This option requires a labor certification that requires that the position to be marketed to U.S. Citizens first before being offered to a foreign worker.

  • EB-4. Special Immigrants. Reserved for religious workers, employees and former employees of the US government abroad.

      • These options only apply in limited circumstances.

  • EB-5. Immigrant Investor visa. Reserved for those who set-up a business in the States with a minimum investment figure of at least $500,000.

    • This program is obviously the most expensive option and is also under political scrutiny. The $500,000 investments must go through regional centers which are not always reputable. Also investments are typically $1,000,000 or more without a Regional Center.

Non-Immigrant Visas:

Non-immigrant visas typically have a limit placed upon them as to how many applicants can receive the status. With H-2B and H-1B visas, the cap is 66,000 individuals per year.

It is notoriously difficult to get these types of visas, unless the applicant is able to apply as soon as the opportunity to do so arises. Applicants that wait to 30 days prior to the opening of the cap often miss out on the chance to be approved to hire nonimmigrant workers.

Non-immigrant Employment Visas

  • H-1B. Speciality Worker. Reserved for professions in which specific labour shortages are experienced in specialised industries. Qualifications for the via include college education and extraordinary ability.

      • There is a cap on the amount of these visas that is reached on the first couple days of its eligibility. Employers are increasingly unwilling to use this option.

  • H-2A. Reserved for temporary and seasonal agriculture workers. This program supplements the needs of farms, greenhouses, and other agriculturally-oriented businesses throughout the United States. There is no cap on this visa status, but the requirements placed upon the employers are very strict.

      • This visa is not appropriate for professional workers.

  • H-2B. Reserved for temporary and seasonal unskilled NonImmigrant workers. This visa is typically sought by employers and workers in the Hospitality, Tourism, Construction, Landscaping, and other unskilled industries.

      • This is also typically reserved for non-skilled workers and also the cap is making employers unwilling to use this option

  • Intracompany Transfers. Employees of foreign companies with parent companies, branches or subsidiaries in the US are able to work in the United States under the L Intracompany Transferee visa designation.

    • L-1A. Reserved for executive or managerial roles

    • L-1B. This status covers specialised skills and knowledge.

        • This option requires the existence of a foreign business with common ownership with the U.S. based company. The foreign business must be at least 3 years old and only certain employees and executives can use the L-1 Visa.

Non-Immigrant Entrepreneurship Visas

  • E Treaty Traders and Investors. A Treaty Trader is an individual from a country with which the US has a trade treaty.

  • E-1. Treaty Trader. Reserved for those carrying out a trade of an international nature. Typically granted to those doing business on their own behalf, but also allowed for individuals doing business as the employee of a foreign business.

  • E-2. Treaty Investor. The E-2 is for those who invest a 'substantial' amount of capital in a US enterprise that they are seeking to develop. This designation is often popular with business-oriented individuals from the British Isles. Renewals, which are typically granted for three years, can be gained should the business continue to meet the requirements. Spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age can accompany the primary beneficiaries.

Applying for Permanent Legal Residence in Canada

The Express Entry program is Canada’s expedited process for obtaining Permanent Residence. All applicants are processed through a score based system that analyses specific talents, experiences, and career potential of the applicants. The top ranking applicants are notified of an invitation to become Permanent Residents. After receiving the Permanent Resident invitation, the applicant has a few options to accept the invitation.

Applicants may chose a providence, open a business, obtain assistance from a family member, or take advantage of francophone skills in Quebec. Benefits afforded to Permanent Residents include universal healthcare coverage, work authorization, and travel privileges throughout Canada. To maintain permanent resident status, you must maintain residence within Canada for two out of five years.

Obtaining Citizenship in Canada

Citizenship requires that a person be a Permanent Resident and maintain physical presence in Canada for at least 1,460 days (four 365-day periods) in the six years immediately before the date of the Citizenship application. Applicants must also be prepared to submit 4 years of tax returns and demonstrate the ability to speak English and/or French.

For more information, please use the form below to be placed in contact with competent attorneys in Canada for a formal consultation.

Detención de ICE, Audiencias de Fianza de Inmigración y Defensa de Deportación

Detención de ICE, Audiencias de Fianza de Inmigración y Defensa de Deportación

Con mayor frecuencia, los inmigrantes que no tienen residencia legal permanente u otro tipo de estatus de no inmigrante están siendo ubicados en centros de detención de inmigrantes en todo el país. Existen muchas razones por las cuales un inmigrante será internado en la detención del Servicio de Inmigración y Control de Aduanas de los Estados Unidos ("ICE") como una multa de tráfico, una violación de libertad condicional, arresto general, documentos falsos y otros delitos penales.

USCIS Requirements for Co-working Spaces - How to Qaulify

Foreign Entrepreneurs from all over the world are increasingly running their businesses online and no longer require the traditional brick and mortar office spaces. For example, there are great business innovators that operate multi-million dollar distribution businesses using platforms such as Ebay and Alibabba which does not require them to have their own warehouse space. 

As a result, many foreign entrepreneurs are turning to co-working spaces and community business incubators to register their business in the United States to take advantage of E and L category visas. Unfortunately, many of these entrepreneurs receive push back on their applications from USCIS for non-compliance with the physical office space requirements and are unable to rectify the issues, resulting in the denial of E-2 and L-1 visa applications. 

Here are some of the requirements that USCIS requires in circumstances when the E-2 or L-1 applicant desires to use co-working arrangements for the physical office space requirement:

1. A complete copy of co-working agreement lease, signed and dated by both the lessor and the lessee. The agreement should indicate the total square footage of the premises. The agreement should explain the type of building the U.S. subsidiary is occupying, such as an office suite, factory, warehouse, apartment, house, etc.

 2. A statement defining the purpose of the U.S. subsidiary. For example, the statement can describe the purpose of the space as a sales office, representative agency, distributorship, etc.  

3. The E-2 or L-1 Visa application should include information on why the co-working space is sufficient for the business function of the beneficiary. 

4. A letter from the owner of the premises confirming the property owner allows the co-working company to sublease to the U.S. subsidiary (if the co-working company does not own the building). 

5. A copy of the agreement between the owner and the original lessee permitting the sublease of the space, if applicable. 

6. Color photos of the U.S. entity's premises. We recommend that photos show the inside and outside of all factory, production, warehouse, and office spaces. Equipment, merchandise, products and employees should be visible. 

7. Evidence of payments being made on the sublease. Prepaid rent is appropriate. 

Our law firm is well versed on clearly articulating the appropriateness of co-working space to USCIS for our L-1 and E-2 clients. In addition, we have relationships with co-working space providers that comply with USCIS requirements. For more information, please give our office a-call at 704-500-2075 or click the link below to review our foreign subsidiary services. 

Pictures from Hello Summer Presented by Seward Tran LLP

HelloSummer (3).png

HELLO SUMMER 2018 Pictures

Seward Tran LLP presented a summer get together for local professionals and entrepreneurs on the roof top of the Peculiar Rabbit in Plaza Midwood Thursday, June 14, 2018.  

This event was hosted by Sherrod Seward, a Partner at the Law Firm of Seward Tran LLP. Seward Tran was celebrating Sherrod's recent recognition as one of the top 100 under 40 most influential persons of African decent by the United Nations.  

Highlights from the event are below!

Please support the sponsors of the event:

Seward Tran LLP - Criminal Defense, Personal Injury, Family Law

www.sewardtran.com - 704-500-2045

Queen City Immigration Law - Family, Employment, Removal Defense

www.qcilaw.com - 704-500-2075

QCI Law Entertainment - Sports & Entertainment Visas

www.entertainmentvisas.us  | www.sportsvisas.us | www.combatsportsvisas.com

Moheyer Insurance Advisors - Home | Auto | Commercial | Real Estate Portfolios

Get Quote - plugfinancehub.com/getqoute

Real Estate Investors - plugfinancehub.com/realestate

Phone: 704-350-5298



Is there a threat to the number of available U visas under Trump Administration

The U-Visa program was implemented through laws passed by congress and not an executive maneuver. Therefore, President Trump is unable on his own to cancel the U Visa program or change the program in a material manner, for example, by decreasing the number of visas available. In order to make these changes, Trump would need congress to actually change the law. Convincing congress to change laws, especially when it comes to immigration reform, takes a very long time.

Immigration reform is a hot topic for congress but the U Visa program is likely not high on the priority list of desired changes. The U visa program accounts for a very small percentage of the immigration flow to the United States and has public interest merits to encourage immigrants to apply for this visa if eligible. The public interest merit is that the U Visa encourages immigrants to support law enforcement efforts which is important to political forces that typically want more restrictive immigration rules.

Even if the Trump administration was successful in convincing the House of Representatives to cancel or change the U Visa, it is unlikely to pass in the United States Senate. The Senate is usually more moderate than the house and more closely divided among political parties  lines. It would be very unlikely for the Trump administration to get the majority of votes needed to cancel or change the U Visa program and this program remains an excellent choice for persons who qualify for the visa.

Queen City Immigration Law is a full-service immigration law firm based in Charlotte, North Carolina. Our firm focuses on the strategic needs of our clients - scientists, researchers, business owners. We also advocate for individuals and families all over the world.  For exceptional service, we have attorneys and staff with fluency in French, Vietnamese, Spanish, and Polish. For more information, do not hesitate to call our offices at 704-500-2075.



Queen City Immigration Law                      

222 S. Church St #100

Charlotte, NC 28205




CHARLOTTE, NC – Queen City Immigration Law (QCI Law), a Charlotte based full service immigration law firm, is pleased to announce that Partner Sherrod Seward, Esq. is recognized as one of the top 100 Under 40 Most Influential People of African Descent by the United Nations’ International Decade for People of African Descent Organization.

In support of the International Decade for People of African Descent, proclaimed by United Nations’ General Assembly resolution 68/237 and to be observed from 2015 to 2024, the Most Influential People of African Descent (MIPAD) identifies high achievers of African descent in public and private sectors from all around the world as a progressive network of relevant actors to join together in the spirit of recognition, justice and development of Africa, it's people on the continent and across it's Diaspora.

“‘I am typically uncomfortable when it comes to receiving recognition” Says Sherrod Seward. “However, this is wonderful news. I’m honored that someone out there understands what we are putting together over at Queen City Immigration Law”

As the emerging market business development leader at Queen City Immigration Law, Sherrod Seward spent much of 2017 educating business owners from the African Diaspora about how to eliminate trade barriers through immigration incentives. Sherrod’s efforts included modering panels, writing articles, and advocating to private and government partners.

Immigration is an underappreciated incentive to global business development, with small to medium sized enterprises. In truth, foreign business partners in emerging markets often do not know of the immigration opportunities available for business people. Queen City Immigration Law will continue advocating for business leaders in emerging markets in 2018 and beyond.

A celebration will take place on June 14th on the rooftop the Peculiar Rabbit located in Charlotte's popular Plaza Midwood District. The reception is from 7:00 - 9:00 P.M.  and will feature great food, drinks, and music. To RSVP for this reception please visit www.qcilaw.com/hellosummer. 

If you are interested in finding out more about Queen City Immigration Law, please contact our office at 704-500-2075 or email info@qcilaw.com.

About Sherrod Seward

Sherrod Seward is an experienced lawyer with a passion for entertainment, investment, and employment-based immigration law and international business in emerging markets. In addition, he has an extensive background in global risk mitigation as a broker with the Export-Import Bank of the United States. The same cultured approach Sherrod brings to Queen City Immigration Law,  he also applies to his extreme love for all things Cleveland and MMA (Mixed Martial Arts including www.combatsportsvisas.com). Sherrod began his legal career at Cleveland State University, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law in Cleveland, Ohio and did his undergrad at Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia. Since obtaining his Juris Doctor, Sherrod has become more intentional than ever to be an advocate for clients in need of international legal assistance.