The first step to obtaining a B-1 Business Visitor visa is to fill out a nonimmigrant visa application on form DS-160. When completing this application, answer all the relevant questions completely and provide all the information with as much detail as possible. For a B-1 visa, providing the information about your education and work history is especially important. This is the best way to demonstrate your professional credentials, business connection, and ties to your home country.
Once the visa application form is fully completed and submitted, the next step is to navigate to www.ustraveldocs.com to create an account, schedule an interview appointment and pay the visa application fee.
Most people who apply for a visitor visa for the first time or had a visa denied in the past must appear for a personal interview at the United States Embassy or Consulate. An interview for a B visa is usually very quick. A consular officer usually only spends 2-3 minutes with each applicant. It is important to make a good first impression. Let the consular officer see right away that you are a serious business person, not any random person off the street. Have all the answers to the most important questions memorized in your head and be ready to answer any questions quickly, confidently and directly to the point. Even though you will likely not be asked or even allowed to show the supporting documents, have them ready and organized to be able to quickly provide them to the consular officer upon request.
The video and the tips below will help you become fully prepared for your B-1 visa interview.
Things to keep in mind when preparing for the interview:
Know all the answers to Why? Where? When? How? and Who?
- Why are you travelling to the United States?
- When are you arriving?
- When are you leaving?
- Where are you going to be visiting?
- Where are you planning to be staying?
- How are you paying for the trip?
- Who are you travelling with?
- Who will you meet with?
Make a good first impression:
- Dress professionally
- Wear your best clothes and shoes
- Have your hair cut or done before the interview
- Men should be well groomed (if appropriate to shave)
- Women can apply makeup (if appropriate)
Have all the supporting documents ready:
- Know which documents are needed to support your visa application
- Have documents to answer the questions above
- Documents should be organized and grouped according to the question they need to answer