Immigration Solutions Designed for You Purposeful, Intelligent and Thorough Representation

R-1 Visas: Temporary Nonimmigrant Religious Workers

Experienced Immigration Attorneys Serving Charlotte

If you are a foreign national and you want to come to the U.S. for temporary work as a minister or another religious vocation or occupation, you will need to obtain an R-1 Visa. In order to be eligible for an R-1 Visa, your offer of employment must be an average of at least 20 hours per week by:

  • A non-profit religious organization in the U.S.
  • A religious organization that is authorized by a group tax exemption holder to use its group tax exemption
  • A non-profit religious organization affiliated with a religious denomination in the U.S.

The R-1 Visa program was designed for religious workers dedicated to religious practices and functions. Foreign nationals must belong to a bona fide U.S. based non-profit religious organization for at least two years before they can file a petition.

Call (704) 741-9002 today to speak to one of our lawyers about what you need to do to secure your R-1 Visa.

What Qualifies as a Religious Occupation?

According to USCIS, the religious occupation must include duties that are:

  • Primarily related to a traditional religious function
  • Recognized as a religious occupation within the denomination
  • Primarily related to, and clearly involve, inculcating or carrying out the religious creed and beliefs of the denomination

What Religious Groups Use R-1 Visas?

The following are examples of religious orders that use R-1 Visas for temporary employees:

  • Buddhist Temples
  • Catholic Churches
  • Synagogues
  • Mormon Temples & Churches
  • Christian Churches
  • Muslim Mosques
  • Hindu Temples
  • Jehovah’s Witness Missionaries

Is My Family Eligible for R-1 Visas?

If you obtain your R-1 Visa, your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 might qualify for R-2 classification. However, R-2 dependents can’t accept employment offers based on this particular visa classification.

Schedule a Consultation with Our Legal Team Today

Do you have more questions about petitioning for an R-1 Visa? If so, you should get in touch with the attorneys at our law firm to discuss the details of your case. At Queen City Immigration Law, we are committed to helping clients throughout North Carolina resolve their immigration matters, and we have the skills and resources you need to obtain a fair case result.

Contact us todayto schedule your consultation with one of our legal professionals.

What You Can Expect

at Queen City Immigration Law
  • Personalized Service

    No one client is the same. At Queen City Immigration we employ strategies that are unique to your goals and needs.

  • Responsive & Available

    You'll have direct access to our attorneys so you can get your questions answered quickly and honestly.

  • Multilingual Firm

    Our team speaks French, Vietnamese, Spanish, and Polish. Other languages are accommodated upon request.

  • 21st Century Approach

    We leverage technology to give you the convenience you and your case needs to be handled swiftly and remotely.

Contact Us Today

Bring Us Your Immigration Challenges
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.