Immigration Solutions Designed for You Purposeful, Intelligent and Thorough Representation

Family-Based Immigration in Charlotte, NC

Keeping Families Together

Immigrating to the United States based on a family relationship with a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) is the most common path to becoming an LPR and obtaining the so-called Green Card.

To qualify for this benefit, the family relationship must fall into one of the two broad categories: Immediate relative or preference category relative.

Immediate relatives include the spouse, children under 21 years old, and parents of a U.S. citizen. However, only U.S. citizens 21 years of age or older can petition for their parents, either biological or stepparents. Immediate relatives are allowed to immigrate to the United States in unlimited numbers and in an expedited manner.

All other close relatives of U.S. citizens and LPRs fall into the preference category relatives and are subject to annual numerical limitations that are statutorily set by Congress for each category.

These include:

  • Unmarried adult children (over 21 years old) of U.S. citizens
  • Spouses and unmarried children (under 21 years old) of LPRs
  • Unmarried adult children (over 21 years old) of LPRs
  • Married adult children (over 21 years old) of U.S. citizens
  • Siblings of U.S. citizens (including half-siblings and stepsiblings)

Although family-based immigration is the most common way of obtaining permanent resident status, there are many technical rules that apply to the process. Mistakes on the application can frustrate the process or even prevent approval; professional attention is helpful in achieving a successful ending. If you would like to petition for a family member, please contact a Charlotte family immigration attorney at Queen City Immigration Law to help you reunite with your family.

K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

The K-1 visa allows a person to come to the United States for 90 days to marry their fiancé(e) and apply for the LPR status (a Green Card). K-2 visas are available for unmarried children under the age of 21 whose parents obtain K-1 visas.

K-3 Marriage Visa

The K-3 visa is reserved for individuals who have concluded a valid marriage with a citizen of the United States. A petition for a relative (Form I-130) must first be filed by the citizen spouse. Unmarried children (under 21 years old) of K-3 visa beneficiaries can obtain a K-4 visa.

I-601 Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility

Certain foreign citizens are ineligible to immigrate to the United States because they are considered inadmissible by Section 212 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Grounds that can make a foreign citizen inadmissible include being convicted of a crime, drug abuse, certain medical and mental issues, and unlawful presence in the United States. It is important to determine your admissibility before applying for a visa or a Green Card. If you are inadmissible, our immigration attorneys can work with you to petition for a waiver to clear the path for your visa or Green Card.

Call our family immigration attorneys in Charlotte at (704) 741-9002 toschedule a consultation.

What You Can Expect

at Queen City Immigration Law
  • Personalized Service

    No one client is the same. At Queen City Immigration we employ strategies that are unique to your goals and needs.

  • Responsive & Available

    You'll have direct access to our attorneys so you can get your questions answered quickly and honestly.

  • Multilingual Firm

    Our team speaks French, Vietnamese, Spanish, and Polish. Other languages are accommodated upon request.

  • 21st Century Approach

    We leverage technology to give you the convenience you and your case needs to be handled swiftly and remotely.

Contact Us Today

Bring Us Your Immigration Challenges
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • Please enter your email address.
      This isn't a valid email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.